This drives me bonkers. Ladies of burlesque, we did not invent the wheel, nor the rhinestone.
Most of the “classic” routines bubbling about within modern burlesque are in homage to vamps that strutted the stage many many moons before us. Some of us happen to find inspiration from the same themes, bumps, grinds, sound bites, classic films, color of fabric, etc.
Take the lovely Dita for instance. Several of her acts are a reflection of famous burlesque queens of the past. “The Bathtub Boudoir Show” in homage to Lili St. Cyr’s infamous routine. “The Powder Compact Show” involving a fabulous costume that is a very close replica from this scene in “The Dolly Sisters”, as well as her other acts “The Moon Show and Bubble Dance” and “The Feather Fan Dance” both being a tribute to Sally Rand.
So, is every woman picking up a feather fan a rip off? Is every gal adding a swarovski to her itsy bitsy g-string a mere mockery? N.O.P.E. I’d like to think kinder of my fellow tassel twirlers.
There is room for EVERYONE,for each person to take the stage in inspiration or complete innovation, to dance until their heart’s content and hopefully make a few people smile along the way. My guess is the lovely lady in question has her own take, own stage presence and stand out way of ‘werkin that horse.
Also, not such a bad day when you’re compared to such a fantastic performer as Immodesty.
Cheers & Love, so concludes my rant. xo Frankie
Oh boy hasn’t this created some controversy and nastiness in the Aust. community. I’ve had running commentary all day on this!
Here we see Australian Cassandra Jane taking liberties from British burlesque Queen Immodesty Blaize. The Rocking Horse has been Immodesty’s signature act for many years and now it appears to be Cassandra Jane’s as well.
Thats ridiculous, you cant OWN a rocking horse act. A show is a show, unless youre coping the show move for move, costume and music, only then are you stealing an act, but incorporating the same prop in your own unique show, especially something like a rocking horse that wasnt invented by the original showgirl, then no, its not stealing.
More #Burlesque Conversation… Roots, Homage, Etc!
- ajotasan likes this
- made2befamous likes this
- rarabattleaxe reblogged this from rarabattleaxe
- lingeriesexytime likes this
- meoow reblogged this from misstakexx
- blondietail reblogged this from misfittoys
- misfittoys reblogged this from macabremarilyn
- life-as-i-want-to-know-it reblogged this from rubyyyjones
- itsameliebetch reblogged this from ameliewheeler
- absinthiumartemisia reblogged this from abelfox
- deadmansface likes this
- gh3ttobla5ter likes this
- joliestripes likes this
- fiestaderockabilly reblogged this from bettychantel
- molliedollie likes this
- latkeenpeach likes this
- bettychantel reblogged this from macabremarilyn
- bettychantel likes this
- welcometomywonderland likes this
- skierank reblogged this from rifa and added:
- megaboo659 likes this
- rifa reblogged this from ashleeta
- ectoplastico reblogged this from thelingerieaddict
- belledemoisellexxx reblogged this from thedame and added:
- honeybeeshepherd reblogged this from thedame
- honeybeeshepherd likes this
- lysmagicsalvation likes this
- lucyfuruk reblogged this from thelingerieaddict
- dognamedsofa likes this
- peachy-lingerie likes this
- heimliche-geliebte64 likes this
- guayabalternativa likes this
- jonnyninetynine likes this
- uppity-minx likes this
- annachronism reblogged this from arseniccupcakes and added:
- primrosezombie reblogged this from dismater
- dismater reblogged this from abelfox
- blogisafunnyword likes this
- mileenaryder likes this
- oddharmonics likes this
- sommarleks likes this
- agentscarlett reblogged this from thelingerieaddict
- latexpinup likes this
- your-demons-come-alive likes this
- im-afraid-of-everything reblogged this from shebelievesinabeauty
- shebelievesinabeauty reblogged this from misstakexx
- sleepytimesatan reblogged this from bosiedarling
- sleepytimesatan likes this
- bosiedarling reblogged this from arseniccupcakes